Sunday, April 15, 2007

my pain is that my eyes and ears no longer see and hear the same as yours do

I must admit, Enkidu's last words were impressive .
Touching .. brought tears to my heart .
Before you rush to go grab your book and read them again,
I have reproduced them here in regular prose :

( I would love to post every best portion of this book,
everything that relates to my very deepest core,
but there is just so much I favor .
I would not want to start another Ultima rampage . )

"Everything had life to me," he heard Enkidu murmur, "the sky, the storm, the earth, water, wandering, the moon and its three children, salt, even my hand had life. It's gone. It's gone. I have seen death as a total stranger sees another person's world, or as a freak sees whom the gods created when they were drunk on too much wine and had a contest to show off the greatness of the harm that they could do, creating a man who had no balls or a woman without a womb, a crippled or deliberately maimed child or old age itself, blind eyes, trembling hands contorted in continual pain, a starving dog too weak to eat, a doe caught in a trap wincing for help, or death. The contest rules the one who makes the greatest wretchedness wins. For all of these can never fit into the perfect state they made when they were sober. These are the things I have witnessed as a man and weep for now for they will have no witness if friends die. I see them so alone and helpless, who will be kind to them?"

He looked at Gilgamesh, and said: "You will be left alone, unable to understand in a world where nothing lives anymore as you thought it did. Nothing like yourself, everything like dead clay before the river makes the plants burst out along its beds, dead and..." He became bitter in his tone again: "Because of her. She made me see things as a man, and a man sees dea7h in things. That is what it is to be a man. You'll know when you have lost the strength to see the way you once did. You'll be alone and wander looking for that life that's gone or some eternal life you have to find." He drew closer to his friend's face. "My pain is that my eyes and ears no longer see and hear the same as yours do. Your eyes have changed. You are crying. You never cried before. It's not like you. Why am I to die, you to wander on alone? Is that the way it is with friends?"

~ Gilgamesh, pp. 48-50 ~

Talk about foreshadowing there in the end .

My favorite part : "Because of her..." At what other point in the book
do you see any italicization ? That's what I thought .

I don't know about you, but I have found that I appreciate
a writing more when I write it out myself . It forces me to
read it more slowly, and to comprehend every word
individually .. the way anything is meant to be read .

Normally when I find a writing I like, I will praise the author .
In this case, though, I am not really sure who the author is .
I suppose I will assume that most of the style is thanks
to Herbert Mason . Thank you, Herbert Mason .
I absolutely adore this book !!
Usually I save the exclamation points for when I am angry,
but this is better .

My only real complaint is that he sometimes lets his sentences
run on for quite the while .
Oh, and it sort of annoys me how he left out
all of the quotation marks .
That makes it get just a little bit confusing sometimes .

No comments:

 
All information, unless otherwise sourced, copyright 2005-7 Agnocure .
All rights reserved . No plagiarism without permission, please .